Mary Bailey recently retired from a stellar career in Secondary Education, reaching a momentous pinnacle as the first principal of Draper City’s Corner Canyon High School (CCHS). Her successor, Darrell Jensen has some big shoes to fill.
Mary was hired as the CCHS principal in 2012, one year before CCHS opened its doors. She was responsible for recruiting the very best educators, trainers, coaches, and staff to support an initial enrollment of 1600 students, which has grown to 2300 in its four short years. The expectations for educational excellence were high for Mary, as the district and city invested over $100 million to construct, equip, and staff one of the most remarkable high schools in the country.
“The best thing about Corner Canyon High School is the people,” Mary said in a recent interview. “We spent a full year hiring teachers and staff members, and it’s paid off.”
And oh how it has paid off! Aside from the spectacular campus and iconic dome, which won a MCAA TEAM award for Outstanding Design, CCHS has already lived up to its reputation as a top Utah high school in many ways. Here are just a few of the highlights of the school’s accomplishments to date. Stay tune for more stories to fill in the details.
- TEAL – A Partnership with Microsoft to provide Computer Science classes and students with in-class software engineers and computer science professionals.
- Spectacular Fine Arts and Visual Arts programs with state-of-the-art facilities and outstanding faculty. The theater students won the State Drama Championship, and CCHS musicals and plays sell out almost every show according to Mary Bailey.
- A sports program that includes over 25 teams and clubs, with several regional and state championships in only three years! (See the article: Corner Canyon High School Athletics)
- STEAM Initiative that includes courses like Zoology, 3D Animation & Graphics, Architectural Design, Robotics and Automation, and Medical Anatomy & Physiology (see a complete list HERE).
- Students who have won national awards and recognitions like Sterling Scholarships, a perfect ACT score, and an American Idol finalist.
- Whole Foods Increases Draper Home Values - June 25, 2016
- Mary Bailey’s Legacy at CCHS - June 20, 2016
- Corner Canyon High School Athletics - June 5, 2016
Senior Manager, PPD | NMLS #1295331
1220 East 7800 South
Sandy, Ut 84094
D: (385) 214-4720 | O: (801) 568-4784
STATE Lic: UT: 9587700; ID:MLO-18984 | Corp State Lic: UT:5491140- MLO; ID:MBL-671 | Corp NMLS #3113 | Equal Housing Lender